Convention on Biological Diversity
The Secretariat for the Convention on Biological Diversity
is financed from contributions made by Parties and non-Parties to the following three Trust Funds established by the Conference of the Parties:
- The General Trust Fund for the Convention on Biological Diversity (BY Trust Fund), which is the major source of funding for the Secretariat and is funded from the assessed contributions of Parties to the CBD, based on the United Nations scales of assessment;
- The Special Voluntary Trust Fund (BE Trust Fund) for additional voluntary contributions in support of approved activities of the Convention on Biological Diversity; and
- The Special Voluntary Trust Fund (BZ Trust Fund) for Facilitating Participation of Parties in the Convention Process.
The BE and BZ Trust Funds are voluntary Trust Funds through which countries and organizations can support important work of the Secretariat which is not provided for within the regular budget. The BZ Trust Fund is used to cover travel costs of developing country Parties, in particular the least developed and small island developing States, and other Parties with economies in transition, to enable them to attend the meetings and conferences convened by the Secretariat.
Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety
In addition, the following three Trust Funds to support the implementation of the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety
have been established by the First Meeting of the Parties in decision BS-I/10:
- The General Trust Fund (BG Trust Fund) for the Core Programme Budget for the Cartagena Biosafety on Biosafety.
- The Special Voluntary Trust Fund (BH Trust Fund) for the Additional Voluntary Contributions in Support of Approved Activities;
- The Special Voluntary Trust Fund (BI Trust Fund) for Facilitating Participation of Developing Country Parties, in particular the Least Developed and the Small Island Developing States amongst them, and Parties with Economies in Transition.