The Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties to the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety,
Recalling paragraph 3 of Article 18 of the Protocol on the consideration of the need for and modalities of developing standards with regard to identification, handling, packaging and transport practices for transboundary movements of living modified organisms,
Recalling also its decision BS-III/9,
1. Decides to continue to gain experience in the implementation of the Protocols provisions regarding handling, transport, packaging and identification, and requests the Executive Secretary to continue to collaborate with relevant international organizations in this regard;
2. Requests Parties and encourages other Governments and international organizations to ensure that information related to standards on the identification, handling, packaging and transport of living modified organisms is available through the Biosafety Clearing-House;
3. Encourages Parties to participate in ongoing work on standards on handling, transport, packaging and identification of living modified organisms taking place in other relevant international organizations and, decides that if a gap in such standards has been identified, to consider the need for and modalities of developing the necessary standards, in particular by referring such gaps to other relevant international organizations;
4. Requests the Executive Secretary to organize an online conference to: (i) identify the relevant standards with regard to handling, transport, packaging and identification of living modified organisms; (ii) identify where gaps exist; and (iii) suggest possible modalities to fill the gaps; and to prepare a summary of the outcome of the conference, reflecting the full range of views expressed, for the consideration of the Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties to Protocol at its fifth meeting;
5. Invites Parties, other Governments and relevant international organizations to provide the Executive Secretary with guiding questions for this online conference and requests the Executive Secretary to finalise the list of questions in consultation with the Bureau of the Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties to the Protocol.