Philippines: A month of celebrating life
During the week preceding the International Day for Biodiversity, children and adults took part in camps held across the Philippines. Many activities were organized to promote and educate the locals on the importance of biodiversity in their communities. Organizers had campers participate in hikes, bird watching, tree planting and various games. Adults involved in the camps were informed about the importance of maintaining the mangroves and visited vulnerable bat species in their natural habitats.
The city of Bacolod
was very involved in the celebrations of the International Day for Biodiversity. To mark the start of Biodiversity week, there was a parade held in the city. The participants were also able to view a puppet show explaining the importance of marine conservation. The evening ended with speeches and several bands.
Between May 17 and 21, there was an art exhibit at the Event Centre of the SM Bacolod city. Various types of media were used to display the importance of biodiversity. These pieces of art work were viewed by more than 900 individuals from the community. On the first day of the exhibition, a mascot to mark biodiversity was revealed. The mascot, Spotty, an endangered Philippine spotted deer, also launched a children’s book entitled “Where is My Home” which deals with issues of environmental conservation. Read more.
ASEAN Centre for Biodiversity
ACB organised the following activities during the week of the International Day for Biodiversity:
- 19 May 2010 - Biodiversity Photo Exhibit and Video Showing at SM Mall of Asia, the biggest mall in Southeast Asia. High-level officials attending are:
- Senator Miguel Zubiri, Majority Floor Leader of the Philippines Senate
- Secretary Horacio Ramos of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Ambassador Alistair MacDonald, EU Ambassador to the Philippines
- Diplomats from Cambodia, Romania, Japan, Singapore, Indonesia, United Kingdom, France
This was a full media event where ACB and SM Malls signed an activity agreement for a series of public forums and video showings on biodiversity for the International Year of Biodiversity 2010. Also part of ACB's advocacy on business and biodiversity.
- 20 May - Journalists Forum on Biodiversity at the National Press Club, Manila. In cooperation with the National Press Club and Mega Manila Bay Press Club.
Human Development International News Update: HDI Vanguard Corps for Peace and Development joins the International Day for Biodiversity Celebration.
- 22 May - Green Wave Tree Planting at Tagaytay Highlands in Cavite Province. Attended by representatives of the business sector, diplomatic community, and media. Also part of ACB's advocacy on business and biodiversity.