RIO+20: Experiences from the Spain-UNEP Partnership for Protected Areas in support of LifeWeb Initiative
20 June 2012, UNEP Pavilion Auditorium, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The objective of the side event is to share experiences and perspectives on national (and sub-national) and regional level operational achievements of improving the management of existing protected areas and increasing the network of protected areas by either extending existing protected areas or creating new protected areas.
The expected outcome is promoting the LifeWeb Initiative as a successful approach for financing protected areas and a pathway to sustainable development and poverty eradication, linked to contribute to accelerating progress on the Millennium Development Goals.
- Mr. Achim Steiner, UNEP Executive Director and United Nations Under-Secretary General
- Mr. Miguel Arias Cañete, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Environment, Spain
- Mr. Braulio Ferreira de Souza Dias, Executive Secretary, Convention on Biological Diversity
- Mr. Phillip Ngole Ngwesse, Minister of Forestry and Wildlife, Cameroon
- Mr. Juan Rafael Elvira Quesada, Secretary of State for Environment and Natural Resources, Mexico
- Mr. Zulkifli Hasan , Minister of Forestry, Indonesia