WCC 2012: Our Protected Planet: Achieving Aichi biodiversity targets through constituency building, science and action
IUCN World Conservation Congress, then we would like to call your attention to an important event where we take stock of the progress made in area-based approaches to protect biodiversity and ecosystem services and chart a way forward to meet international targets. High level speakers include Julia Marton Lefevre
, the Director General of IUCN and Braulio Dias,
the Executive Secretary of the UN Convention on Biological Diversity.
The event will feature:
- A presentation on new Protected Planet Report, which details the global progress toward Target 11
- Perspectives on the challenge by Julia Marton Lefevre, Director General of the IUCN and Braulio Dias, Executive Secretary of the CBD
- Innovative case studies from around the world that are meeting the challenge
Protected areas are well known as the cornerstones in biodiversity conservation efforts. The Aichi Biodiversity Targets
, particularly Target 11, challenge the world to significantly strengthen protected area implementation for the conservation of biodiversity. This event will explore the following questions:
- How to accelerate progress and achieve Aichi Biodiversity Target 11?
- What kind of support is available to achieve Target 11?
- How to strengthen this support?
- What are the implications of these findings for achieving Aichi Biodiversity Target 11?
- How to best communicate the findings and their implications to policy makers?
Looking forward to seeing you on: 8th September 19.00-21.00 PM, Halla B, Jeju Korea