18. Fair on Experiences with the Implementation of the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety
A fair on experiences with the implementation of the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety will be held at the margins of COP/MOP-4 in Room 0.105 of the Federal Ministry of Transportation Building. The Fair will be organized jointly by the CBD Secretariat and the Government of Germany as the host. It will feature the following themes, among others:
- a.lessons learned from the development and implementation of National Biosafety Frameworks (NBFs);
- b. experiences and lessons learned in the design and implementation of biosafety capacity-building activities;
- c. experiences with the use of the Biosafety Clearing-House; and
- d. experiences and best practices in raising public awareness, education and participation, including mobilization of the media for communication of messages on the importance of biosafety and of the Protocol.
Parties and organizations will have the opportunity to present their materials in a variety of formats. The following are suggested:
- Display of printed materials on outreach
- Presentation of posters
- Presentation of multimedia
To ensure maximum flexibility in presentations, and to take into account the different resource capabilities of Parties, it will also be possible to mount a display for only some of the days of the COP/MOP. Participants will be expected to have a resource person on hand at the fair during the entire time of their display.
The Secretariat invites Parties, other Governments, development agencies, research institutions, and other relevant organizations and initiatives to register their interest to showcase their projects, activities and material with the Secretariat at their earliest convenience, but no later than 27 March 2008.
In order to facilitate the organization of the Fair, indications of interest should include a short description (one page maximum) of the proposed activities, presentations and/or material to be showcased, including any audio-visual requirements. The dates for display and/or presentations should also be indicated.
It is important to note that, due to restricted room capacity, only a limited number of exhibitors can be offered the opportunity to showcase their work. The Secretariat reserves the right to select the exhibitors.
Limited support will be provided for PC-based materials and will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. Parties are encouraged to provide their own laptops. Internet access will be made available. A large screen, with audio system, will also be available for the display of films and presentations.