The Biodiversity Strategy for the fifth replenishment of the Global Environment Facility (GEF-5) includes, as its fifth objective: "Integrate CBD Obligations into National Planning Processes through Enabling Activities”.
Up to US$500,000 per eligible country have been reserved for such Enabling Activities, as a Focal Area Set-aside, outside of each country’s STAR allocations.
Enabling activities would cover:
- Updating and revision of NBSAPs in line with the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020
- Preparation of the Second National Report on Biosafety
- Preparation of the Fifth National Report.
- Clearing house mechanism activities, usually as part of the process of updating and revising NBSAPs
As confirmed in Notification 2011-075
, attaching correspondence from GEF CEO and Chairperson, funds for NBSAPs and fifth national reports can be accessed through a number of ways: 1. Direct access from the GEF Secretariat
To request support for biodiversity enabling activities through the Direct Access modality, countries will submit a proposal to the GEF Secretariat (using the template provided here
) that includes a detailed description of the activities that will be carried out as well as their expected cost. Applications must be submitted to GEF Secretariat via email (GEF-DA-BD@thegef.org) by the GEF Operational Focal Point (see list below). 2. Access through an agency
To request support for biodiversity enabling activities through an agency, countries will submit a proposal to the agency concerned (using the template provided here
) that includes a detailed description of the activities that will be carried out as well as their expected cost. Applications must be submitted by the GEF Operational Focal Point (see list below).
3. For LDCs and SIDS, through a UNEP Umbrella Project (currently under development)
- Click here for further information on UNDP-GEF.
- Click here for further information on UNEP-GEF.
- Click here
As confirmed in the letter
of UNEP/GEF Executive Coordinator/Director dated 13 April 2011, UNEP is seeking letters of endorsement from LDCs and SIDS to participate in a CBD Enabling Activities Umbrella Project. Countries will submit their endorsements using the template provided here
In all cases applications should be made through the GEF Operational Focal Points for the country concerned.