A set of training modules on updating and revising NBSAPs and other resource materials have been developed. These provide the basis of the subject matter for the second series of Capacity-building Workshops on Updating and Revising NBSAPs in line with the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020. Each module comprises a PowerPoint presentation (based on the presentations being made at the workshops) as well as a written module (of around 20 pages) that provides more information and links to further resources. Additional presentations and written material are also provided.
(Note that this page provides access to this “generic” information; each presentation is tailored to each workshop and the actual presentations made at each of the workshops are available on the corresponding web pages.)
Overview of the Aichi-Nagoya Outcomes
This material provides a brief overview of the findings of the third edition of the Global Biodiversity Outlook
and of the main outcomes
of the tenth meeting of the CBD Conference of the Parties in Aichi-Nagoya, Japan, October 2010, focusing on the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020
and its Aichi Biodiversity Targets
. Additional presentations outline the Nagoya Protocol on Access and Benefit Sharing
and the Nagoya-Kuala Lumpur Supplementary Protocol on Liability and Redress
, including the actions needed to achieve early entry into force of these instruments.
- The Aichi-Nagoya Outcomes and the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity (Presentation, Flier)
- The Nagoya Protocol on Access and Benefit Sharing (Presentation)
- The Nagoya-Kuala Lumpur Supplementary Protocol on Liability and Redress (Presentation)
Introduction to NBSAPs and Lessons Learned
This module provides an introduction to NBSAPs and outlines the lessons learned from the “first generation” of NBSAPs as well as the guidance provided by COP-9 and COP-10. An indicative outline for a revised NBSAP is included.
- Module 1. An Introduction to National Biodiversity Strategies and Action Plans (Presentation, Guide)
- Biodiversity Planning -- An assessment of NBSAPs (UNU) (Presentation, Report)
The Biodiversity Planning Process
This module provides an overview of the process of developing, updating and implementing NBSAPs. It includes guidance for updating NBSAPs and information on resources available to support this process.
- Module 2. How to prepare and update a National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan (Presentation, Guide)
This module provides information on how biodiversity can be integrated into broader national planning processes such as national development plans, poverty reduction strategies and local planning processes. It outlines tools available to support mainstreaming including valuation, environmental assessment and spatial planning tools.
- Module 3. Mainstreaming biodiversity into sectoral and cross-sectoral strategies, plans and programmes (Presentation, Guide)
Setting National Targets
This module outlines why SMART targets are important and how national targets may be set in the framework of the Aichi Biodiversity Targets. Examples of existing national targets
- Module 4. Setting National Biodiversity Targets in the framework of the Aichi Biodiversity Targets (Presentation, Guide)