Guidance to the financial mechanism
In decision IX/31 C
, the Conference of the Parties at its ninth meeting decided to provide additional guidance to the Global Environment Facility in the provision of financial resources, in accordance with Article 20 and Article 21, paragraph 1 of the Convention and in conformity with decisions I/2, II/6, III/5, IV/13, V/13, VI/17, VII/20 and VIII/18 of the Conference of the Parties.
In this regard, the Global Environment Facility should provide financial resources to developing country Parties, taking into account the special needs of the least developed countries and the small island developing States amongst them, for country-driven activities and programmes, consistent with national priorities and objectives and in accordance with the mandate of the Global Environment Facility, recognizing that economic and social development and poverty eradication are the first and overriding priorities of developing countries, and taking fully into consideration all relevant decisions from the Conference of the Parties.
On technology transfer and scientific and technological cooperation, the Conference of the Parties requested the Global Environment Facility to:
- Provide support to developing country Parties in the preparation of national assessments of technology needs for implementation of the Convention;
- Continue to support ongoing national programmes for the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity through improved access to and transfer of technology and innovation;
- Consider possibilities to provide funding under enabling activities for the provision of capacity-building, where needed, on, inter alia:
- Technologies for conservation and sustainable use;
- Governance and regulatory frameworks associated with access and transfer of technology and innovation;