Traditional Knowledge Information Portal

Online Discussion Forum on Article 10(c)

Return to the list of discussions...

Forum

Forum closed. No more comments will be accepted on this forum.
case studies/publications regarding options for access and management (question 3) [#363]
Unfortunately I am currently not in a position to provide a satisfactory list of examples and case studies, I will try my best to do so after returning to my office. For the time being, I would like to signal these case studies/publications: 

Marcus Colchester, Nalua Silva Monterrey and Ramon Tomedes, 2004, Protecting and Encouraging Customary Use of Biological Resources: the Upper Caura, Venezuela. Forest Peoples Programme, Moreton-in-Marsh, UK.

Henry Zaalman, Georgette Kumanajare, Louis Biswana, Grace Watalmaleo, Michel Barend, Sylvia Oeloekanamoe, Steven Majarawai, Harold Galgren, Ellen-Rose Kambel, Caroline de Jong, 2006, Marauny Na’Na Emandobo Lokono Shikwabana. ‘Marowijne: Our Territory’. Commission on Land Rights of the Indigenous People of Lower Marowijne, Suriname and Forest Peoples Programme, UK.

Belmond Tchoumba, John Nelson, George Thierry Handja, Stephen Nounah, Emmanuel Minsolo, 2006, Protecting and Encouraging Customary Use of Biological Resources by the Baka in the west of  the Dja Biosphere Reserve. Forest Peoples Programme, Moreton-in-Marsh, UK.

Highland Mapping Development and Biodiversity Management Project, Inter-Mountain Peoples’ Education and Culture in Thailand Association, 2006, Indigenous Knowledge, Customary Use of Natural Resources and Sustainable Biodiversity Management.  IMPECT, Thailand and Forest Peoples Programme, UK.

Beryl David, Percival Isaacs, Angelbert Johnny, Larry Johnson, Maxi Pugsley, Claudine Ramacindo, Gavin Winter and Yolanda Winter, 2006, Wa Wiizi, Wa Kaduzu: Our Territory, Our Custom. Guyana

Dewan Muhammad Humayun Kabir and Jakir Hossain, April 2008 Resuscitating the Sundarbans:
Customary Use of Biodiversity & Traditional Cultural Practices in Bangladesh. Unnayan Onneshan, Bangladesh.

Helen Newing (ed.), 2005, Our Knowledge for Our Survival: traditional forest-related knowledge and the implementation of related international commitments. 2 volumes. International Alliance of Indigenous and Tribal Peoples of the Tropical Forests and CIFOR, Bogor;

Tim Ingold, 2000, The Perception of the Environment: Essays in livelihood, dwelling and skill. Routledge, London.

Most of these publications are available at http://www.forestpeoples.org/documents/conservation/bases/10c.shtml
posted on 2009-02-17 20:15 UTC by Dr Maurizio Ferrari, Forest Peoples Programme
RE: case studies/publications regarding options for access and management (question 3) [#378]
The suggestions from Mourizio is very important because most of the government think biodiversity resources as a source of revenue and issue permits of resource collection to the traders, not to the local and indigenous communities. The traders consider profit rather than the traditional knowledege, culture or beliefs, and collect excess resources illegaly. By the way, resources are denuded and local communities are deprived from their traditional rights.
National policies, acts and guidelines yet to be reviewed from the perspective of livelihood-based collection, not trade-based.
posted on 2009-03-07 19:10 UTC by Hasan Mehedi, Humanity Watch