Consultation Workshops of Biodiversity-related Conventions on the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework (Bern I and Bern II)
The Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity emphasized the importance of engaging other organizations and biodiversity-related conventions, in the preparatory process for the development of the post-2020 global biodiversity framework (decision 14/34).
In decision 14/30 (paragraph 12), the Conference of the Parties requested the organization of a workshop to facilitate discussions among Parties of the various biodiversity-related conventions to explore ways in which the conventions can contribute to the elaboration of the post-2020 framework and identify specific elements that could be included in the framework.
In response to this request, a Consultation Workshop of Biodiversity-related Conventions on the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework (Bern I) was held at the headquarters of the Universal Postal Union in Bern from 10 to 12 June 2019, and was hosted and sponsored by the Government of Switzerland.
Subsequently, it was agreed that a follow-up workshop of biodiversity-related conventions would be organized by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) with support from the Government of Switzerland and in collaboration with the Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity. The follow-up workshop of biodiversity related conventions on the post-2020 global biodiversity framework (Bern II) will take place through live virtual sessions and open online discussion forum that will be convened from 18 January through 2 February 2021 as follows:
- Three live virtual sessions by videoconference : (2 hours each, starting midday UTC/GMT, 7 am EST) confirmed agendas will be communicated later;
- Opening videoconference: 18 January 2021
- Virtual session by videoconference: 22 January 2021
- Final virtual session by videoconference: 02 February 2021
- An interactive online discussion forum will be open from 18 to 26 January 2021 where written contributions can be submitted by participants on the five topics elaborated in the concept note. The online platform will be designed to encourage the engagement of all participants independent of their time zones. The modality to participate in the online discussion is further explained in the concept note and will be elaborated at a later stage.
The documents for the workshop are available on UNEP’s portal.