In decision X/3
, the Conference of the Parties adopted fifteen indicators for monitoring the implementation of the Strategy for Resource Mobilization and also set out the steps in a process to be carried out prior to the eleventh meeting of the Conference of the Parties for making use of these indicators. Specifically, the Secretariat was requested to develop methodological guidance, and guidelines for the application of the indicators and the establishment of a baseline year. In the same decision the Conference of the Parties also decided to adopt an effective reporting framework at the eleventh meeting of the Conference of the Parties to allow Parties at that meeting to review baseline information and establish targets for the Strategy for Resource Mobilization.
In response to the requests in decision X/3
, the Secretariat prepared a Preliminary Reporting Framework drawing on a number of different sources of information including:
- Submissions from Parties – in response to notification SCBD/ITS/YX/75582 issued in March 2011, transmitting the invitation of the Conference of the Parties to Parties, other Governments and relevant organizations to submit information pertinent to the indicators;
- The ad hoc technical expert group on indicators for the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020 which met in June 2011;
- Informal consultations with national focal points, inter alia, through an electronic consultation in July/August 2011;
- A report prepared by the World Conservation Monitoring Centre of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP-WCMC) - “Assessing the adopted indicators for the implementation of the Strategy for Resource Mobilization of the Convention on Biological Diversity – A scoping study”;
- Discussions of a team of experts convened to develop an assessment of the funding needs for GEF-6 in line with decision X/26;
Through notification SCBD/ITS/YX/77665
, Parties were invited to review the Framework and to provide suggestions and comments as appropriate. Following the suggestions from Parties the Framework was revised and a further notification (SCBD/ITS/RS/78858)
was issued encouraging Parties to make use of the reporting framework and to provide the Secretariat with the required information so that it could be compiled and made available to the eleventh meeting of the Conference of the Parties.
The Preliminary Reporting Framework was subsequently discussed during the fourth meeting of the Ad Hoc Open-ended Working Group on Review of Implementation of the Convention as document UNEP/CBD/WG RI/4/6/Add.1
. During the meeting Parties were invited to use the preliminary reporting framework as a flexible and tentative framework to monitor resources mobilized for biodiversity at national and global level, adapting it to national needs and circumstances, as appropriate, to build on this flexible framework as part of national monitoring, including the implementation of national biodiversity strategies and action plans and provide the information to the Executive Secretary by the end of June 2012 (recommendation 4/2).
In accordance with this recommendation Parties are encouraged to provide information on the existing resources mobilized for biodiversity, making use of the preliminary reporting framework, as well as any general comments on the reporting framework to the Secretariat to enable it to undertake inter-sessional work in preparation for the eleventh meeting of the Conference of the Parties in an effective and timely matter.