E-forum on the Post 2010 Strategic Plan of the CBD: An Invitation to Contribute to the Updating and Revision of the Strategic Plan of the Convention
Please note that the e-forum will remain accessible until 31 March 2009
At its tenth meeting in 2010, the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity is due to adopt a revised and updated Strategic Plan. The Plan will include “ambitious but realistic, and measurable short term targets or milestones and a long term target or vision, developed on the basis of robust scientific evidence.”
The existing Strategic Plan and framework for assessing progress towards it.
The first Strategic Plan of the Convention on Biological Diversity was adopted in 2002 through decision VI/26
. It included, as its mission statement: “Parties commit themselves to a more effective and coherent implementation of the three objectives of the Convention, to achieve by 2010 a significant reduction of the current rate of biodiversity loss at the global, regional and national level as a contribution to poverty alleviation and to the benefit of all life on earth.” This has become to be known as the 2010 Biodiversity Target. Later, a framework for assessing progress in the implementation of the Strategic Plan and achievement of the 2010 Target was developed in decision VII/30
and refined in decision VIII/15
. This framework provides global sub-targets and indicators.
The process of developing the updated and revised Strategic Plan.
taken in 2008 provides guidance on the scope and content of this future plan and includes an indicative timetable for its preparation: Parties and observers are invited to submit views concerning the revision and updating of the Strategic Plan. On the basis of views submitted, the Secretariat will prepare an analysis/synthesis in early 2009 and a first draft of the revised and updated Strategic Plan for peer-review.
The purpose of this electronic forum is to gather and share views and observations on the CBD Strategic Plan among a wider range of stakeholders in an informal way. All these views together with the views solicited through the notifications will enable the Secretariat to prepare a first draft of the revised Strategic Plan that would take into account views from the widest range of stakeholders.
Please give us your views on the following questions and any other relevant areas you may wish to comment on. Considering the importance of the Strategic Plan for the implementation of the objectives of the Convention and COP decisions including the programmes of work, you are encouraged to invite others to participate in the e-forum.
Please note the following:
1. You may wish to address questions from among those in the first set (A: general, open-ended), or those in the second set (B: specific questions based on the text of the existing Strategic Plan), or a mixture of each.
2. Although there is some logic in the sequence of the questions, you can address them in any order
3. You do not need to answer all the questions before submitting your views. You have the possibility of saving each of your answers before submitting, and submitting when your answers are ready.
4. You may submit your views as: (a) a CBD national focal point; (b) a focal point or representative of an organization (c) as a named individual (you may also indicate an organization); or (d) anonymously. (Note that your name(s) will appear initially in brackets at the end of each of your answers. However, you are given the choice if you wish to have your answers shared anonymously.)
5. All constructive contributions are welcome