As listed under objectives and indicative activities, the following measures can be put in place to expand financial resources in support of the plan of action:
- All the additional financial resources for the implementation of the Multi-Year Plan of Action for South-South Cooperation on Biodiversity for Development shall be provided by the Parties listed in paragraph 2 of Article 20 of the Convention;
- Establishing a voluntary trust fund to cover the costs of G-77 coordination meetings on South-South cooperation organized prior to major meetings of the Convention bodies;
- Devising a means for innovative use of external assistance, for instance through partnerships with the private sector and NGOs;
- Drawing on and optimizing traditional forms of funding including from triangular cooperation with development agencies, bilateral and multilateral donors, and the Implementing Agencies of the Global Environment Facility (GEF);
- Earmarking national budgetary allocations; and
- Enhancing financing sources such as the Perez-Guerrero Trust Fund for Economic and Technical Cooperation among Developing Countries and the United Nations Fund for South-South Cooperation.