According to the Convention on Biological Diversity, sustainable wildlife management is the sound management of wildlife species to sustain their populations and habitat over time, considering the socioeconomic needs of human populations (Decision 14/7
Under the overall theme of sustainable wildlife management, the Convention has focused its work on the following areas:
- Sustainable management of wildlife used for food, or wild meat, also known as bushmeat;
- Monitoring tools and databases;
- Multidisciplinary approaches in sustainable wildlife management, including alternative livelihoods;
- Subsistence use of wildlife; and
- Wild meat and food security.