Extraordinary meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention and the meetings of the Parties to the Cartagena and Nagoya Protocols
Montreal (Online), 16-19 November 2020
Resumed session of the extraordinary meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention and the meetings of the Parties to the Cartagena and Nagoya Protocols
Montreal (Online), 25-27 November 2020
The meetings were suspended November 19 and will be resumed November 25-27, 2020.
Between 16-19 November 2020, the Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity will prepare for, and service the following meetings, remotely and concurrently:
- The second extraordinary meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity
- The first extraordinary meeting of the Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties to the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety
- The first extraordinary meeting of the Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties to the Nagoya Protocol on Access and Benefit-sharing.
The purpose of holding these extraordinary meetings, and have them virtually, is to consider and approve an interim budget for the Secretariat’s operations in 2021. This has become necessary taking into account that:
- The current budget of the Secretariat runs out on 31 December 2020,
- COP 15 has been postponed, and
- there is a pressing need to keep the Secretariat operating, as well as enable Parties to pay their dues in 2021.
The meetings will be conducted through a silence/written procedure, which will take place after informal consultations to finalize a draft decision.
Parties as well as observers are required to submit the details of their representatives through an official letter of nomination addressed to the Executive Secretary, providing the names and contact details of members of their delegation and the title of the meeting or meetings they are attending. Letters of nomination should be submitted as e-mail attachments to the Secretariat at: email@example.com as soon as possible and no later than 12 October 2020. Parties are also kindly requested to submit their credentials as soon as possible but preferably no later than 1 November 2020.
More information :
Notification 2020-073 (CBD Executive Secretary's Invitation to the Meetings)
Notification 2020-064 (CBD Executive Secretary's Call for support for holding extraordinary meetings)