WIOMSA specialises in:
- Fostering research excellence; Developing expertise for effective management and sustainable development;
- Raising public awareness and enhancing access to relevant knowledge and information;
- Promoting networking, cooperation and exchange of knowledge between researchers, managers and local communities;
- Promoting and advocating appropriate policies and practices.
WIOMSA is dedicated to promoting the educational, scientific and technological development of all aspects of marine sciences throughout the Western Indian Ocean (WIO) region (consisting of 10 countries: Somalia, Kenya, Tanzania, Mozambique, South Africa, Comoros, Madagascar, Seychelles, Mauritius, Réunion (France)), with a view toward sustaining the use and conservation of its marine resources.
WIOMSA contributes directly to Aichi Biodiversity Targets 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 18, 19 and 20.
- Learn more about WIOMSA's contribution to the Aichi Targets HERE