Liaison Group of Biodiversity-related Conventions
In order to enhance coherence and cooperation in implementation, a liaison group has been established between the heads of the secretariats of the seven biodiversity-related conventions. The Liaison Group of Biodiversity-related Conventions meets regularly to explore opportunities for synergistic activities and increased coordination, and to exchange information.
The mandate for establishing the Liaison Group of Biodiversity-related Conventions was set out by the Parties to the CBD, in decision VII/26 (paragraphs 1 and 2)
Through decision IX/27 (paragraphs 3 and 4)
the Conference of the Parties to the CBD underlined the important role of the Liaison Group of Biodiversity-related Conventions, encouraged more regular meetings and invited the Group to identify options for improved implementation of and cooperation among the biodiversity-related conventions.
Through decision X/20 (paragraphs 4, 7-11)
the Conference of the Parties to the CBD further underlined the need for strengthened effectiveness and improved harmonization of the biodiversity-related conventions. Paragraph 11(a) requests the biodiversity-related convention to review and, where necessary, update working arrangements, and at the Second Retreat of Biodiversity-related Conventions held in Geneva on 4 September 2011, a new modus operandi
was agreed and signed by all six biodiversity-related conventions.
Reports of the meetings held to date are accessible below:
- Minutes of the Tenth Ordinary Meeting of the Liaison Group of the Biodiversity-Related Conventions, 16 September 2015, Geneva, Switzerland
- Report of the ninth meeting (Warth, Switzerland, 16 August 2014)
- Report of the Meeting of the Liaison Group of the Biodiversity-related Conventions, Geneva, 2-3 September 2013
- Report of the eighth meeting, Bogis-Bossey, 13 February 2013
- Report of the Special Meeting of the Biodiversity-related Conventions (Geneva, 13 April 2011)
- Report of the First Retreat of Biodiversity-related Conventions (Geneva, 1 September 2010)
- Report of the seventh meeting (Paris, 9 April 2009)
- Report of the sixth meeting (Bonn, 31 May 2008)
- Report of the fifth meeting (Gland, 14 September 2006)
- Report of the fourth meeting (Bonn, 4 October 2005)
- Report of the third meeting (Gland, 10 May 2005)
- Report of the second meeting (Geneva, 16 August 2004)
- Report of the first meeting (Paris, 3 June 2004)
- Application of the Addis Ababa Principles and Guidelines
The Biodiversity-related Conventions Liaison Group has developed an interactive CD-ROM on the applications of the Addis Ababa Principles and Guidelines (AAPG) for the Sustainable Use of Biodiversity. This CD explains the AAPG and their relevance in the context of each of the biodiversity related conventions. In addition to providing information on the applications of the AAPG, the CD contains the full text of the principles and guidelines, relevant decisions, recommendations and resolutions, background documents, as well as other materials, including links to relevant websites. This joint collaboration between the biodiversity-related conventions was lead by the CITES Secretariat.
The CD content is available here for download or to request a copy of the CD, please write to email@example.com
- Preconditions for harmonization of national reporting to biodiversity-related agreements
The UNEP project on Knowledge Management among MEAs, led by UNEP-WCMC in partnership with the Biodiversity-related Conventions, called for a paper on pre-conditions for harmonization of national reporting can help countries understand the rationale for and challenges to harmonization of national reporting, to be prepared by UNEP-WCMC for distribution by the convention secretariats. The report is accessible here.