The Secretariat remains committed to ensuring the successful and timely preparation of COP-15 and the concurrent meetings of the Parties to the Protocols. As such, the Bureau of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) has considered and approved revised dates for the following meetings:
- Fifteenth meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity
- Tenth meeting of the Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties to the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety
- Fourth meeting of the Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties to the Nagoya Protocol on Access to Genetic Resources and the Fair and Equitable Sharing of Benefits Arising from their Utilization
After extensive consultations, and with the view to provide political momentum for the preparations of the post-2020 global biodiversity framework, a decision has been made to convene the meetings in two parts. This will allow time for continued negotiations on the post-2020 global biodiversity framework.
COP-15 Part One: Virtual Meetings 11 to 15 October 2021
The first part will include the opening of the Meetings and will address agenda items that have been identified as essential for the continuation of the operations of the Convention and the Protocols by the Bureau. This will include meetings about administrative matters and technical issues related to CBD programmes.
There will also be a high-level segment on 12 and13 October 2021. Participants are expected to focus on the development of the post-2020 global biodiversity framework.
COP-15 Part Two: Face-to-Face Meetings in Montreal, Canada 7 to 19 December 2022
The second and resumed part of the meetings are expected to address the remaining agenda items, including the finalization and adoption of the post 2020 global biodiversity framework.
The Secretariat will keep Parties and the public updated of any changes and adjustments to the schedule.
Early registration is encouraged.
Governments are welcome to submit the designation of their representatives to attend the meetings through an official letter of nomination addressed to the Executive Secretary, providing the names and contact details of their delegation, as well as the title of the meeting or meetings they wish to attend.
The meetings are open to organizations and agencies, whether governmental or non-governmental, qualified in fields relating to the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity, which have informed the Secretariat of their wish to be represented at the meetings. Registration of representatives from these organizations is subject to the receipt of an official letter addressed to the Executive Secretary, providing the names and contact details of their delegation, as well as the title of the meeting or meetings they wish to attend.
Letters of Nomination
Taking into account nominations received for the meetings as per Notification 2020-025, issued on 2 March 2020, Parties, other Governments and observers who have already provided the Secretariat with a letter of nomination for these meetings do not need to re-submit a letter unless there are changes to the composition of their delegation.
Information regarding online registration for the meetings will be provided in due course.
Letters should be submitted by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax at +1 514-288-6588, as soon as possible and preferably by 1 October 2021.
The road ahead: Timeline at a glance
- “Pre-COP” meeting hosted by the President of Colombia in the Colombian Amazon with fellow members of the High Ambition Group for Nature and signatories of the Leaders’ Pledge for Nature. For more information: CBD National Focal Point for Colombia - Sra. Adriana Mejia Hernand, Viceministra de Asuntos Multilaterales Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores Calle 10 No. 5-51; +571 381 4000 ext. 1889, ext. 1349; E-Mail: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
- COP-15 Part 1
- 11 October: Opening ceremony
- 12 - 13 October: High-level segment
- News Conference for the closing of the High-level segment 13 October
- Closing news conference, 15 October: Details to follow for accredited media
- Open-Ended Working Group (WG2020) on the Post-202o Global Framework Agreement
- CBD Subsidiary Body on Scientific, Technical and Technological Advice (SBSTTA 24)
- CBD Subsidiary Body on Implementation (SBI 3)
- COP-15 resumes / Part 2, Montreal, Canada