Retired sections: paragraphs 2(b) and 6.
Additional financial resourcesThe Conference of the Parties
Recalling Article 21, paragraph 4, of the Convention, which states that "the Contracting Parties shall consider strengthening existing financial institutions to provide financial resources for the conservation and sustainable use of biological diversity", as well as Article 20, paragraph 2,
Recalling also decision II/6, by which it requested the Executive Secretary to explore possibilities to identify additional financial resources, to continue to monitor the availability of additional financial resources, and to study characteristics specific to biological diversity activities to allow the Conference of the Parties to make suggestions to funding institutions on how to make their activities in the area of biological diversity more supportive of the Convention,
Recognizing the importance of identifying alternative sources of funding in support of the Convention,
Taking note of elements contained in documents UNEP/CBD/COP/3/7 and UNEP/CBD/COP/3/37,
1. Urges all funding institutions, including bilateral and multilateral donors as well as regional funding institutions and non-governmental organizations, to strive to make their activities more supportive of the Convention, taking into account, inter alia, relevant elements contained in document UNEP/CBD/COP/3/7;
2. Requests the Executive Secretary:
(a) To explore as soon as possible ways of collaborating with funding institutions to facilitate these efforts to achieve greater support for the Convention;
(b) To invite all funding institutions to provide information to the Secretariat on ways in which their activities support the Convention, and further requests the Secretariat to submit a report to the next Conference of the Parties on the basis of this information;
3. Requests the Executive Secretary to explore further possibilities for encouraging the involvement of the private sector in supporting the Convention's objectives;
4. Urges developed country Parties to cooperate in the development, where possible, of standardized information on their financial support for the objectives of the Convention on Biological Diversity. Where possible, these Parties should submit this information to the Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity in their national reports;
5. Invites other funding institutions, including bilateral and multilateral donors as well as regional funding institutions and non-governmental organizations, to compile information on their financial support for the Convention and to provide the Secretariat with such information;
6. Requests the Executive Secretary to make the information referred to above available to the Conference of the Parties.