The Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) contributes on a regular basis to the United Nations’ follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda and SDGs. This includes responding to formal requests for input from across the UN system, contributing to and/or participating in the annual events of the High-level Political Forum in New York along with its preparatory forums hosted by the UN’s Regional Economic and Social Commissions, and providing biodiversity-specific guidance for the preparation of Voluntary National Reviews.
The HLPF meets annually in New York under the auspices of the Economic and Social Council, and also at the level of Heads of State every four years in the General Assembly.
Financial support for preparing the outreach material listed below was provided by the European Union (2018 and 2019) and by the Government of Japan (2017), and is gratefully acknowledged.
- Sustainable and resilient recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic that promotes the economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development: building an inclusive and effective path for the achievement of the 2030 Agenda in the context of the decade of action and delivery for sustainable development
The meeting of the United Nations High-Level Political Forum (HLPF) in 2021 will be held from 6 July to 15 July 2021. The theme of this year will be "Sustainable and resilient recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic that promotes the economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development: building an inclusive and effective path for the achievement of the 2030 Agenda in the context of the decade of action and delivery for sustainable development".
Please see here some key preliminary messages
related to biodiversity, the Post-2020 Global Framework and the SDGs.
UNEP-WCMC has provided additional information for your use at https://www.unep-wcmc.org/resources-and-data/integrating-biodiversity-into-the-sustainable-development-agenda--an-analysis-of-voluntary-national-reviews
The information document of the fourteenth meting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention (CBD/COP/14/INF/26), Biodiversity guidance for voluntary national reviews, available at: https://www.cbd.int/doc/c/5c5f/cce3/d994ffe3ff426bfd61eb1bac/cop-14-inf-26-en.pdf
provides draft guidance for reporting progress on biodiversity to the High-level Political Forum.
The related Notification can be consulted at: www.cbd.int/notifications/
- Accelerated action and transformative pathways: realizing the decade of action and delivery for sustainable development
- Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality
- Transformation towards sustainable and resilient societies
- Eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing world