An early core activity of the JBF was the implementation of a series of regional and sub-regional capacity building workshops on the revision of National Biodiversity Strategies and Action Plans (NBSAPs) to support Parties in translating the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020 and the Aichi Biodiversity Targets into national targets and plans. These workshops also provided a general introduction to key COP10 outcomes such as the Nagoya Protocol on Access and Benefit Sharing
, the Nagoya-Kuala Lumpur Supplementary Protocol on Liability and Redress
, and the Strategic Plan for the Biosafety Protocol
Approximately thirty (30) capacity-building workshops were delivered by the JBF from 2011 to 2014, in collaboration with and with participation of Indigenous People and Local Communities, civil society organizations, women's groups, academic and business representatives, and international organizations.
Regional and Sub-regional Workshops - 2011-2012
- 15 regional and sub-regional workshops were conducted between 2011 and 2012.
- The workshops focused on updating and revising NBSAPs.
Regional Workshops – 2013
- 6 additional regional workshops were delivered in 2013.
- These workshops centered on national target setting, mainstreaming, policy and legal aspects of NBSAP adoption, and resource mobilization.
Global Workshop for National NBSAP Coordinators – 2013
- A Global Workshop was held in Kenya in 2013.
- This workshop focused on three aspects of NBSAP planning and development that had been identified as the most in need of capacity-building and technical support: resource mobilization and valuation, mainstreaming, and national target setting. A special segment on gender mainstreaming was also included.
Regional Workshops for the Preparation of the Fifth National Reports – 2013-2014
- 8 workshops were organized by the Secretariat and supported by the JBF.
- The aim of the workshops was to assist Parties in preparing and submitting the fifth national reports in time for review before COP12 and to contribute to the development of the Global Biodiversity Outlook 4 (GBO-4).
- National reports are periodic reports provided by Parties to the CBD, which address issues such as the status and trends of biodiversity at the national level, the implementation of NBSAPs, the mainstreaming of biodiversity and the success and challenges encountered.
For more details on these workshops, please visit the Capacity Building Workshops