Training Programme Community Protocols of Traditional Knowledge and, Indicators for Traditional knowledge (TK) and Customary Sustainable Use (CSU) within the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020 including the effective implementation of the Nagoya Protocol
The aim of the Programme is to train trainers from Indigenous Peoples (IP) and Local Communities (LC) and Parties affiliated to Universities/Educational Institutions on: a) Development of community protocols on traditional knowledge (TK) including traditional knowledge associated with genetic resources under the Nagoya Protocol and, b) Utilization of Indicators on TK and CSU including Community-Based Monitoring and Information Systems (CBMIS). The programme is designed with a long term approach combining online and face to face training activities with a view to use the train the trainer methodology. This integrated approach will connect all levels of all the following activities. The global training workshop will have discussions with key partners and experts about the gaps, challenges and recommendations; and will develop and design general guidelines and specific content (Indicators and Community Protocols) of the programme for the regional workshops. Each regional workshop, based on the outcomes of the global training workshop, will implement a regional training programme combining six weeks of online training (e-learning platform) and 4 days of face to face training. After each regional training programme the participants will be invited to submit their proposals to develop: a) Training workshops at the national or subnational level on indicators of traditional knowledge or community protocols on traditional knowledge; b) Training materials/resources in indigenous languages on indicators of traditional knowledge or community protocols. The best proposals will be selected and get technical and financial support.
The implementation of the Programme will contribute to the achievement of the Strategic Plan on Biodiversity 2011-2020, with a special focus on Targets 11, 16 and 18. In addition, it will address issues under the Nagoya Protocol related to TK at the local, national and regional level. Participants will be able to use indicators on traditional knowledge and customary sustainable use of biodiversity and assess the implementation of Target 18 of the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity. They will also be able to develop Community Protocols on traditional knowledge which will contribute to the process of the entering into force and implementation of the Nagoya Protocol on Access and Benefit Sharing (ABS) in the national legislation and achieve Target 16 of the Strategic Plan of Biodiversity.
- Decision NP-1/8, para 10, Annex, Appendix I (Developing community protocols in relation to access to TK and the fair and equitable sharing of benefits arising from the utilization of that knowledge);
- Decision X/43, para 17 (organize technical workshops for the use of the proposed indicators on TK);
- Decision XI/14, section B, para 2 (development didactic materials, culturally appropriate tools and instruments);
- Decision XI/14, section B, para 10 (develop, update and translate essential Convention documents into national and local languages).
- International Training Workshop on Community-based Monitoring, Indicators on Traditional Knowledge and Customary Sustainable Use and Community Protocols, within the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-202,0 8 - 10 June 2015, Panajachel, Guatemala
- Dialogue Workshop on Assessment of Collective Action of Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities in Biodiversity Conservation and Resource Mobilization, 11 - 13 June 2015, Panajachel, Guatemala
- Expert Meeting on the Repatriation of Traditional Knowledge Relevant to the Conservation and Sustainable Use of Biological Diversity,14 - 15 June 2015, Panajachel, Guatemala
- African Training Workshop on Community Protocols, Indicators on Traditional Knowledge and Customary Sustainable Use of Biodiversity under the CBD, 25 - 29 January 2016 Nairobi, Kenya
- Regional Training Workshop for the Latin American and Caribbean Region on Community Protocols, Indicators on Traditional Knowledge and Customary Sustainable Use of Biodiversity under the CBD, 23-27 May 2016 - Panama City, Panama
- Regional Training Workshop for the Asian Region on Community Protocols, Indicators on Traditional Knowledge and Customary Sustainable Use of Biodiversity under the Convention on Biological Diversity, 17 - 21 October 2016 Thimphu, Bhutan