SANBI’s mission is to ensure biodiversity richness is conserved for all South Africans.
- Manage and unlock benefits of the network of National Botanical Gardens as windows into South Africa’s biodiversity
- Build the foundational biodiversity science through describing and classifying species and ecosystems in South Africa
- Assess, monitor and report on the state of South Africa’s biodiversity and increase knowledge for decision making (including adaptation to climate change)
- Provide biodiversity policy advice and access to biodiversity information and support for climate change adaptation
- Provide human capital development, education and awareness in response to SANBI’s mandate
SANBI contributes directly to all 20 Aichi Biodiversity Targets.
- Learn more about SANBI's contribution to the Aichi Targets HERE