Contributions of biodiversity to SDG 17: Partnerships for the Goals
The CBD and its Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020 provide a global framework for international cooperation on science, technology and innovation related to the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity. The Strategy for Resource Mobilization of the Convention strives for increased financial support for implementation of the Strategic Plan.
Under the Convention, Parties work together to disseminate knowledge and technologies for environmental management, enhance South-South cooperation, and strengthen national and local capacities for policy and science. Such capacities and wealth of knowledge are essential for the implementation and monitoring of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
At the national level, National Biodiversity Strategies and Action Plans (NBSAPs) are adopted as policy instruments for achieving the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity, and hence are a ready pathway for national implementation of the SDGs. Efforts to integrate biodiversity and ecosystems into national, subnational and sectoral development policies through NBSAPs and the contribution of NBSAPs into implementation of the SDGs, help enhance policy coherence.
The implementation of UNEP’s and FAO’s instruments and global partnerships fostering sustainable management of biodiversity and natural resources contribute to SDG 17.
Many UN organizations provide support to countries in data collection and the monitoring of SDG indicators.
Related SDG 17 Targets
Relevant Aichi Biodiversity Targets
- SDG Target 17.3: Mobilize additional financial resources for developing countries from multiple sourcess (relevant Aichi Targets: 20)
- SDG Target 17.6: Enhance North-South, South-South and triangular regional and international cooperation on and access to science, technology and innovation and enhance knowledge sharing on mutually agreed terms, including through improved coordination among existing mechanisms, in particular at the United Nations level, and through a global technology facilitation mechanism when agreed upon (relevant Aichi Targets: 19)
- SDG Target 17.7: Promote development, transfer, dissemination and diffusion of environmentally sound technologies to developing countries on favourable terms, including on concessional and preferential terms, as mutually agreed (relevant Aichi Targets: 19)
- SDG Target 17.9: Enhance international support for implementing effective and targeted capacity-building in developing countries to support national plans to implement all the sustainable development goals, including through North-South, South-South and triangular cooperation (relevant Aichi Targets: 17)
- SDG Target 17.14: Enhance policy coherence for sustainable development (relevant Aichi Targets: 2, 17)
- SDG Target 17.18: By 2020, enhance capacity-building support to developing countries, including for least developed countries and small island developing states, to increase significantly the availability of high-quality, timely and reliable data disaggregated by income, gender, age, race, ethnicity, migratory status, disability, geographic location and other characteristics relevant in national contexts (relevant Aichi Targets: 19)
|Biodiversity values integrated
|Biodiversity strategies and action plans
|Sharing information and knowledge
|Mobilizing resources form all sources