Date and sessions
- [expired] Tuesday, 1 February 2022, 8:00-9:00 a.m. (EST)
- [expired] Monday, 7 February 2022, 6:00-7:00 p.m. (EST)
- Post-2020 Global Diversity Framework: Briefing on Co-Chairs reflection document, Francis Ogwal, Basile van Havre, Presentation, Stakeholder briefing webinar, 1 February 2022 [PDF-1.32 Mb]
About the event
The Co-Chairs of the Open-ended Working Group on the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework (WG2020) with support from the Secretariat organized an information briefing in which the Co-Chairs presented their Reflections Report on the first part of the third meeting of the Working Group, as released on 1 December 2021 (CBD/WG2020/3/6) [PDF, 1.21 Mb]
To accommodate Parties, other governments and relevant organizations in different time zones, the first session was held on 1 February 2022 from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. (EST), and the second on 7 February 2022 from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. (EST).
The Reflections Report is based on the proposals delivered orally by Parties and stakeholders during the first part of the third meeting of the Working Group held online from 23 August to 3 September 2021 and submitted in writing in response to requests for submissions following contact group sessions, as contained in the contact group co-leads’ reports annexed to the meeting report (CBD/WG2020/3/5) [PDF, 2.15 Mb].
The briefing was intended to familiarise participants with the structure and content of the report in order to assist them in their preparations for the resumed session of the third meeting of the Open-ended Working Group on the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework (WG2020-3) (see all related documents) to be held jointly with the resumed sessions of the twenty-fourth meeting of the Subsidiary Body on Scientific, Technical and Technological Advice (SBSTTA-24) and third meeting of the Subsidiary Body on Implementation (SBI-3) from 13 to 29 March 2022 in Geneva, Switzerland. The briefing also gave the Co-Chairs and the Secretariat the possibility to address questions raised by participants.
The briefings were not negotiation sessions. They instead provided an opportunity to assist participants in their preparations for WG2020-3. All efforts was made to ensure that Parties and stakeholders had an equal opportunity to speak. It is important to note that statements and views expressed during these briefings won't be considered part of the official work of WG2020 and won't be directly reflected in the documentation prepared for WG2020-3.
The briefing webinar was open to all registered participants and was conducted in English. Participants were invited to join the session most convenient for them based on their time zone. One of the sessions was fully recorded and made available on the CBD website (see above) to accommodate those unable to take part.
- Welcome and review of meeting objectives and agenda by the CBD Secretariat & WG2020 Co-Chairs
- Presentation of the Co-Chairs’ Reflections Report by the WG2020 Co-Chairs
- Questions and answers on the Co-Chairs’ Reflections Report moderated by the CBD Secretariat
- Closing by the WG2020 Co-Chairs
- Reflections by the Co-Chairs following the first session of the third meeting of the Working Group on the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework [PDF, 1.21 Kb]
- First Draft of the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework [PDF, 485 Kb]
- Report of the Open-ended Working Group on the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework on its third meeting (Part I) [PDF, 2.15 Mb]
Suggested further readings
- Overview of the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework Process (SBI agenda item 5)
- Glossary for the first draft of the post-2020 global biodiversity framework [PDF, 415 Kb]
- One-pagers on the goals and targets of the first draft of the post-2020 global biodiversity framework [PDF, 823 Kb]