Date and session: 9 March 2022: 7:00 – 8:30 a.m. (EST)
About the event
The Secretariat to the Convention on Biological Diversity (SCBD), and the United Nations Environment Programme World Conservation Monitoring Centre (UNEP-WCMC), hosted a series of webinars to introduce the metadata for the headline indicators proposed in the first draft monitoring framework for the post-2020 global biodiversity framework.
These webinars were held over the course of four days – 3 March, 7 March, 8 March and 9 March.
Organizations that generate the proposed headline indicators, or that are developing the indicators in the draft monitoring framework, presented information about some of the proposed indicators, and how they might be used for monitoring progress towards the corresponding draft goal or target of the post-2020 global biodiversity framework. The webinars allowed Parties and stakeholders to hear directly from organizations compiling or producing the proposed headline indicators. Participants were invited to raise questions about each of the proposed indicators. After the webinars, participants were also able to follow up with any additional queries via a helpdesk function provided by UNEP-WCMC. Please note that not all headline indicators were not presented due to limited availability of speakers, and because some indicators are at the conceptual stage.
The fourth and final webinar of the series, held on 9 March, focused on the proposed headline indicators below:
- Goal C: C.0.1 Indicator on monetary benefits received (SCBD) *
- Goal C: C.0.2 Indicator on non-monetary benefits (SCBD) *
- Target 13: 13.0.1 Indicators of operational legislative, administrative or policy frameworks which ensure fair and equitable sharing of benefits, including those based on PIC and MAT (SCBD) *
- Goal A: A.0.3 Red list index (BirdLife International and IUCN)
- Target 3: 3.0.1 Coverage of Protected areas and OECMS (by effectiveness) (UNEP-WCMC, IUCN, BirdLife International)
Introduction to the session (UNEP-WCMC)
Introduction to the draft monitoring framework (SBSTTA Chair)
Overview of the metadata for the headline indicators, and peer review process (UNEP-WCMC)
Q&A facilitated by the Chair
Closing Remarks (OEWG Co-Chairs)