Date and session: 8 March 2022: 7:00 – 8:30 a.m. (EST)
About the event
The Secretariat to the Convention on Biological Diversity (SCBD), and the United Nations Environment Programme World Conservation Monitoring Centre (UNEP-WCMC), hosted a series of webinars to introduce the metadata for the headline indicators proposed in the first draft monitoring framework for the post-2020 global biodiversity framework.
These webinars were held over the course of four days – 3 March, 7 March, 8 March and 9 March.
Organizations that generate the proposed headline indicators, or that are developing the indicators in the draft monitoring framework, presented information about some of the proposed indicators, and how they might be used for monitoring progress towards the corresponding draft goal or target of the post-2020 global biodiversity framework. The webinars allowed Parties and stakeholders to hear directly from organizations compiling or producing the proposed headline indicators. Participants were invited to raise questions about each of the proposed indicators. After the webinars, participants were also able to follow up with any additional queries via a helpdesk function provided by UNEP-WCMC. Please note that not all headline indicators were presented due to limited availability of speakers, and because some indicators are at the conceptual stage.
The webinar on 8 March focused on the proposed headline indicators below:
- Goal A - A.0.1 Extent of selected natural and modified ecosystems (i.e. forest, savannahs and grasslands, wetlands, mangroves, saltmarshes, coral reef, seagrass, macroalgae and intertidal habitats) (UN System of Environmental Economic Accounting, UNSD)
- Goal B - B.0.1 National environmental economic accounts of ecosystem services (UN System of Environmental Economic Accounting, UNSD)
- Target 9 - 9.0.1 National environmental economic accounts of benefits from the use of wild species (UN System of Environmental Economic Accounting, UNSD)
- Target 11 - 11.0.1 National environmental economic accounts of regulation of air quality, quality and quantity of water, and protection from hazards and extreme events for all people, from ecosystems (UN System of Environmental Economic Accounting, UNSD)
- Target 14 - 14.0.2 Integration of biodiversity into national accounting and reporting systems, defined as implementation of the System of Environmental Economic Accounting (UNSD, CBD, BIOFIN)
Introduction to the session (UNEP-WCMC)
Introduction to the draft monitoring framework (SBSTTA Chair)
Overview of the metadata for the headline indicators, and peer review process (UNEP-WCMC)
Q&A facilitated by the Chair
Closing Remarks (OEWG Co-Chairs)