MALDIVES CELEBRATES INTERNATIONAL DAY FOR BIOLOGICAL DIVERSITY 2004
Maldives celebrated the International Day for Biological Diversity on the 22nd of May 2004. Many colorful activities were organized to mark the day. The activities carried out were specifically focused on the theme for this year’s Biodiversity Day; Biodiversity: Food, Water and Health for all. The main purpose of celebrating the day was to create awareness on the importance of the conservation and sustainable use of our biological resources. Maldives has been marking the day since year 2002.
Activities carried out to mark the Day include:
- Workshop on Biodiversity
- Distribution of Poster showing the locally threatened "Black Turtle"
- Installation of billboard showing protected birds
- Other activities and media coverage
Other activities carried out in the Atoll / Island Schools of the Maldives, on the day include;
- Poster drawing and quiz competitions regarding the theme
- Awareness programmes and information providing sessions on the theme during school assemblies.
- Distribution of booklets and leaflets
- Conducted surveys on Food, Water and Health.
- Conducted tree planting activities and mosquito larvae eradication programmes.
- Played dramas on Health and Biodiversity.
The local Television, Radio and the dailies covered the day’s events.